Come experience 'the Best of Africa.' Let the Muzungu share with you my love of all things Ugandan, weekly. Its simple to sign up and it's free.

I guarantee 100% privacy. Your information will not be shared.

NOW LIVE: apply for Ugandan tourist visas online

Jul 1 • 15175 views • 187 Comments on NOW LIVE: apply for Ugandan tourist visas online How to...? Uganda travel tips, Travel tips and advice

All Ugandan tourist visas are now online. Apply BEFORE you travel!

DISCLAIMER: I update this page regularly based on feedback from visitors to Uganda. Although in theory all Ugandan tourist visas must be applied for in advance online – and paid for online since May 2017 – you can still apply in person at Entebbe Airport. Scroll down for more information.

The Ministry of Internal Affairs has implemented a new online electronic visa application system. This is mandatory for applying for all Ugandan visas, including: entry permit (work permit), Uganda tourist visa, multiple entry visa, transit visa, East Africa tourist visa, student pass, diplomatic visa, official visa, special pass, Certificate of Residence, dependant pass.

Uganda e-immigration system All requests for tourist visas, passes and work permits (E-Visa and E-permits) should now be completed via this link on the Uganda immigration website.

Under the new application process, applicants for all immigration services such as visas, work permits and passes will be required to apply and pay online, and an electronic notification / authorization will be sent to the applicant before proceeding to the preferred Entry Point e.g. Entebbe International Airport or the nearest Uganda Mission abroad for the visa to be issued.

NOTE: Management anticipates that the full implementation may take several weeks – (the Kenyan e-visa had teething problems for a number of months, so expect the same for Uganda). Information via Uganda Tourism Board stated: “Through the month of July 2016, it will still be possible to get visas on arrival. However, the traveler will have to go through the electronic application process (as above) at the port of entry.” [April 2017: the cut-off date for this has not been communicated].

If you are traveling to Uganda and applying for a Ugandan visa online, you are advised to:

Apply at least ONE MONTH prior to travel.

Be prepared. You need to complete the online application in one sitting. The online application does not allow you to save your information and return to the screen later.  Have these ready: a copy of your bio page of your passport, a recent passport photo, and Yellow Fever vaccination certificate. You will need to upload these. For more info on the exact documents needed, according to type of visa you require, go to the Uganda immigration web site general information page.

Only PDF, JPEG, PNG and BMP files are accepted. The files you upload should not be bigger than 250 KB (that’s pretty small!)

This page of the Uganda immigration web site details the fees for applying for Ugandan visas online.

The decision taken on the online application (“yes” or “no” on whether you’re coming to Uganda) will be sent via email. Assuming you get the go-ahead, an approval letter will be sent as an attachment to the email. Print this travel authorization (showing a barcode). Keep this with your travel documents.

Make a note of your application number! You may need this in case you have to follow up.

UPDATE May 2017: You can now pay online for your Uganda tourist visa during this approval process. There is a 3% surcharge for online payment. If you want to avoid queues at the airport, you might want to do this. However, you can still pay in person at Entebbe airport. Please scroll down to the comments for feedback from one visitor.

Present the printed barcode at point of entry [read “border”] together with a valid passport / travel document of “not less than 6 months validity” and you will get your visa.

NOTE: “the travel authorization [approval] letter does not guarantee entry into Uganda. Travelers will be subjected to secondary verification where necessary before personalization,” meaning it is not 100% guarantee you will be issued a visa at the airport / border / Uganda mission (but you probably will, unless you’ve been very naughty indeed).

For answers to Frequently Asked Questions, go to the Uganda immigration Help page.

Uganda tourist visa $50 only from 22.07.16

This letter confirms that the Uganda tourist visa was REDUCED from 100 USD to 50 USD on 22nd July 2016.

Any feedback or questions on getting Ugandan visas online? Do please contact the muzungu or share in the comments below. I review this page on a regular basis. Thanks to everyone who has shared their visa application experiences!

« »

Related posts

187 Responses to NOW LIVE: apply for Ugandan tourist visas online

1. Alison says:

Thanks for the information. I’m due to travel there in September and the boyfriend (Ugandan) didn’t mention this…..words with him later!

• the muzungu says:

Hi Alison, glad to help! In your boyfriend’s defence (!) this info has only just been made available… the system is brand new of course, so there will inevitably be a few teething problems. Have a great time in UG 🙂

• the muzungu says:

Hi Alison … newsflash: Uganda tourist visa reduced to $50 only from Friday 22.07.16 🙂

• Paul Lunnemann says:

Hello. We have had an email to say that 2 visas have been cancelled because they have ‘expired’ but having checked the date they do not expire for a long time. We have paid and been approved but now all they are saying is that they have been cancelled.

2. Maricarmen says:

Hi! I’m already in Uganda under an East Africa visa I will be traveling to Kenya and Tanzania and need to come back to Entebbe for my flight to the UK. Do you think I will have to apply for another visa even if I’m staying at the airport for 6 hours? Do you know who I can contact in the Uganda immigration office?

Thank you very much for the info!

Hello Maricarmen

I have checked with an immigration advisor today. He tells me:

The person does not need to pay for another especially where she already has the East African Visa.

Safari njema! Safe travels!

3. Another Ugandan Muzungu says:

Hey,

I’m traveling back to Uganda for the third time on August and without you I would probably not know anything about this new interesting visa applying system. I can imagine our faces on Entebbe airport when the officers would tell us that we forgot something.. 😀

Webale kuyamba nnyabo!

Very happy to help 🙂

Safe travels and do please share any feedback you have on the new system. Inevitably, there will be teething problems, as with any new system

4. Elizabeth says:

Please Help, I have a flight booked to land this Friday and I did not know this. I was told I could get a Visa at the airport. What should I do?

• the muzungu says:

Hi Elizabeth, don’t worry – you will still be able to get a visa at Entebbe International Airport during July while they are implementing the new system. Immigration have confirmed this, as have people I know who arrived last week. Safe travels!

• the muzungu says:

You may be on the plane already but … Uganda tourist visa reduced to $50 only from Friday 22.07.16 🙂

5. the muzungu says:

Uganda is getting stricter with checking Yellow Fever certificates, as demonstrated by the fact that if you do the now compulsory online E visa application in advance, you will need to upload a copy of your Yellow Fever certificate.
    Vaccination costs 100k UGX at Entebbe airport, which is approximately 40 USD. As my immigration contact says, you don’t really want to have the vaccination done at the airport! There is no quarantine.
    When I flew back in the country two months ago, I just flashed a photo of my Yellow Fever certificate on my phone and they didn’t check it. They are being stricter now.

• RCC says:

I was checking for information on the need for a Yellow Fever certificate when I came across your very useful advice. I do have a certificate dating back to the late nineties – do you know if the Uganda authorities accept these as WHO now regard them as ‘for life’? { http://www.who.int/ith/updates/20160727/en/ }

Hi RCC
        Thanks for positive feedback 🙂
        I’m not 100% sure, and need to ask. I do know that 1) certificates are hardly checked 2) Ministry of Health have confirmed we do not have Yellow Fever in country and 3) if you have proof of vaccination, that should be good enough.
        Lastly, they can give Yellow Fever jabs at Entebbe Airport, tho medical advice is not to have more than one in a lifetime.

6. Jennie says:

Thank you for all your help, just submitted our applications (and had to downsize all the documents as you quite rightly pointed out!) It’s gone through quite smoothly, now wait to hear if we’ve been successful……will let you know and see you soon X

7. Billy says:

Hi,
    Quick question? Can we still get the east african visa at the airport on arrival? If not, what kind of documents are they expecting when asking for the travel itinerary?
    I am going there next week end.

Thanks.
    Billy

• the muzungu says:

Use the online system and get your visa approval letter ASAP. It generally takes 2 to 4 days. If not, you have to use the online system. . . . at Entebbe Airport! [There may be lines / queues].
      Re the travel itinerary, that is what a tour company gives you. But if traveling independently, show hotel bookings if poss for the EATV countries you plan to visit.

8. Pete says:

We are bringing a group of USA citizens to do volunteer medical service and then participate in a short safari. Some members of the group have not had their visa applications approved or they are needing additional documentation when the application is processed. If they don’t have a final approval email from the online visa registration system can they still fill out a paper application when they get there? Will they be able to board the outbound flight from USA and from Europe to go to Uganda without this emailed approval form with the barcode? Lots of time and money has gone into planning this service trip and we don’t want to have issues with getting on our flights or getting through Uganda immigration.

• the muzungu says:

Hello Pete, apologies for slow reply. I have been travelling up country. I’ve been in contact with my immigration advisor and we shall get back to you with a reply today.

• the muzungu says:

I have just sent you an email. My immigration advisor has asked that you send him a copy of the rejected / deferred visa applications so he can advise on the way forward. By the way, the whole system is online now. For anyone who does not have the visa approval letter when coming to Entebbe, they have to apply online at the airport.

9. […] Jul 1 › NOW LIVE: apply for Ugandan tourist visas online » […]

10. Brenda says:

A friend of mine from Norway has tried to apply for the visa to Uganda online but the system has failed, what should he do ?

• the muzungu says:

Hi Brenda, interesting to hear that the system has failed. What happened exactly?
      If you’re travelling to Uganda in the near future, you can still get your visa in person at the airport. Immigration is currently allowing people to apply for their visa at Entebbe International airport, although this will be phased out eventually. When is your friend travelling?

11. the muzungu says:

UPDATE December 2016:
    Although the visa system went online a few months ago, immigration are allowing people to apply online at the airport for a little longer. Christmas and New Year are busy times of the year so they are not going to refuse tourists entry to the country. However, there may be a queue of people in front of you, so be prepared for that.
    Regarding the Yellow Fever certificate, you need to have the vaccination at least 10 days before you travel for the certificate to be valid – BUT you can still have the vaccination at Entebbe airport, if you don’t have a valid Yellow Fever Certificate.
    Feedback from travellers is that both visas AND Yellow Fever jabs are easily got at Entebbe… until further notice.

12. Angela says:

SO glad I found your blog, have been enjoying reading it so much! 🙂 I’m in the US and coming to Uganda for 2 1/2 weeks in Feb, glad I now have this info about the visa!

• the muzungu says:

Hello Angela, I’m delighted you’ve enjoyed reading my blog. You will love Uganda!
      For daily updates and random photos, you might like my Diary of a Muzungu Facebook page. Have a fantastic trip!

13. Maël says:

Great blog and I am really looking forward coming to Uganda. However, I applied yesterday for a tourist visa for three months on the Uganda E-immigration system. I joined all the required documents, valid pasport (Belgium), Yellow fever certificate, ID photo’s and filled in all the questions correctly and honestly.

Now I checked the status of my application today and apparently my application has been deferred. I need to add an Invitation Letter and a ‘Host Immigration Status’.

I am wondering why I have to add those documents for a tourist visa? Also I have no idea what they mean with a Host Immigration Status?

• the muzungu says:

Good morning Mael. Thanks for the positive feedback. Sorry for slow reply, I had to check something for you.

My immigration advisor says. Uganda immigration want to know that the person you are visiting is legally staying in Uganda. If you are visiting a Ugandan, send the copy of their ID. If an expat, send a copy of their work permit. If visiting an institution, then just write the letter invitation letter.

The invitation letter can be from an individual or an institution. If you’re staying at a hotel, then send a copy of your booking. If a safari, send copy of your itinerary.

Hope this helps. Enjoy UGANDA!
      Charlotte

14. Aar says:

Thanks for your full information.

Let me ask you, i have applied Ugandan E-visa before one week and still my status says its in progress so, till when should i wait ?

• the muzungu says:

I suggest you contact them and ask for info. Have you sent in copy of your travel itinerary, flight tickets and letter of introduction? Proof of where you are staying e g hotel reservations will work.
      Immigration need this info but it is not made explicit. This is the feedback I have been getting.

15. WATCHIYI JEAN DE DIEU says:

Congratulations for East Africa Tourist Visa,
    for me it is a great deal for many million people in Africa.
    May The Lord bless East Africa

16. M says:

Help! I applied online weeks ago, but never received an email from them. Since I did this once before with no problem, I didn’t write down my application number. Now I can’t access the letter with the barcode. Nothing happens when I try to have them email it to me. I tried contacting them about it and no one got back to me. Will they be able to help me at the airport?

• the muzungu says:

Hi there. It’s a bit confusing but despite the online system, you can still get your visa on arrival at Entebbe Airport. You may be asked to use the online application system there or you may just use the old paper-based system.

• M says:

Thank you. And that’s true even though I already applied online (and now the online system won’t let me re-apply because it recognizes my passport number)?

• the muzungu says:

They’ll be able to sort it out at the airport. I’ve talked to other people in the same boat and they got visas at the airport ok.

• M says:

Thank you. That makes me feel much better! I visited in 2016 as well and the e-visa process was so smooth then that I didn’t expect any technical glitches this time.

Glad to be of help!
            I think you’re right. System seemed to run better last year.
            Mpola, mpola…
            Safe journey

17. Europe traveler says:

Hello, My visa application was deferred. The reason is as follow “you have no return flight”. We plan to stay a few months in Uganda and haven’t bought our flight back. Even though my girlfriend made the exact application, my visa was deferred and not hers.

I am flying out tomorrow, super stressed.

Can we still get one at Entebbe?

Thanks!

Hi Europe Traveler
      Sorry about the stress levels.
      In theory, yes you can get your visa upon arrival at Entebbe but the rules are still the same. If you’re applying for a tourist Visa, then you are supposed to have return flights or proof of onward travel e.g. to Kenya or Rwanda et cetera.
      I can’t guarantee it will work, but my advice would be to buy an East Africa Tourist Visa at the airport. This costs $100 and allows 90 days travel within Uganda, Kenya and Rwanda. Then make a booking / hotel reservation for travel to one of those countries, and have that proof with you when you arrive at Entebbe.
      Some people enter the country on tourist visas but then work illegally and the government is trying to crack down on that, hence the stipulation that you have a return ticket.

• the muzungu says:

FYI, I spoke to my immigration adviser today. When I told him about your case (your girlfriend getting approval without a return flight, and you not getting approval), he said that it could just be that different people have looked at your two applications and sometimes the immigration officers are more lenient towards women.
      Hopefully you’re in Uganda right now and have your visa!

18. Soraya Bandeily says:

Hello do you know what they mean wit a recent passport photo, i only have the passport photo in my bio passport page, so don’t understand what they mean wit that. Will be happy if you reply // Soraya

• the muzungu says:

Hi Soraya, you need to upload a digital copy of your passport photo. It could be a copy (a photo) of the photo you have in your passport or it could be another one. When they say recent, it has to be ‘recognisably you’ – showing how you look at the moment. Hope that helps 🙂
      When you do your online application, make sure you keep a copy of your reference number, in case you have any queries.

• Soraya Bandeily says:

Okey, thank u for a fast reply. Then ill just use the picture I have in my passport. Sorry for more question. but I was planning to travel in the end of april and I haven’t booked the flight yet, is that required that I have to book the flight before in order to apply online for a visa? and also is it to soon for me (6-7 weeks before) to apply online. Thank you again // Soraya

You are welcome.
          Yes you should book your flight first. In fact, if you’re coming in on a tourist visa, you should have proof of a return flight.
          It is not too soon to apply online. Remember to make a note of your application reference ID. You may need it in case you have to follow up on your application. See comments I have written elsewhere on this page. Good luck

19. the muzungu says:

UPDATE MARCH 2017:
    If you use the online system, it is very important that you make a note of your application ID number. Without it, you will not be able to track your visa application.
    In case you don’t receive an email, or approval letter, you can then go back to the website, click on ‘manage your application’ and view the progress of your application. You will need your application ID number and your passport number to be able to do this. I spoke with my immigration adviser today and he says that sometimes emails are not sent out, although approval has been given. In that case, you can download a copy of your approval letter from that screen.
    Meanwhile, visas are still being granted at Entebbe International airport. Some people are being given visas the old-fashioned paper way. Others are using the online system, at the airport.
    Interested to read feedback from all travellers, especially if it differs to anything else you read on this page. Thank you and safari njemi! – travel well!

20. Felix says:

Thanks for your help. I have a conference tomorrow Tuesday in uganda. I applied late in the evening on Friday. I’ve not gotten a reply yet though when i tracked it, it says my application is in progress. My flight however leaves Nigeria by 12.30pm today. Can i board the flight and get a visa on arrival,since i have a stopover in ethiopia.

• the muzungu says:

Hi Felix, I would log in and check your application one last time before you fly. Even if you don’t receive an email from the system, your approval letter may be on the site so you can download and print it. Note: some airlines are insisting that people travel with their visa approval letter so I can’t tell you whether you will be able to board your flights or not, sorry. However, feedback from other people suggests you will be okay and that you can get your visa on arrival at Entebbe.

21. Abdirizak says:

HI i apply visa me and my two sons they approve my two sons and iam still waitin i send message not recieving any can any one help me with and i am about to fly les then a week from today thanks

• the muzungu says:

Log onto the visa application system using the ID reference number that they gave you. They may have approved you without sending an email. In that case, you can download and print the approval letter.
      If not, you can still get the visa in person when you arrive at Entebbe airport.

22. Jay says:

Thanks for this information! We’re traveling overland (by bicycle) and Uganda will be our first country of the three (coming from southern Africa via Tanzania). A few questions:

(1) When would you recommend filling out the application (in terms of processing time)? It’s tough to know exactly when we’ll arrive, so the closer we are to the actual border, the better.
    (2) Assuming our applications are accepted, will we be able to enter via any of the land crossings between Uganda and Tanzania?
    (3) What is the actual validity of the visa? Does the 90 days start as soon as the visa is accepted, or once we enter Uganda? In other words, if our visa was issued for October 1 and we didn’t arrive in Uganda until October 15, would we need to leave the three countries by January 1, or January 15?
    (4) Because we’re traveling overland, we don’t have any onward flights (or hotel reservations, for that matter). Would an Ethiopian visa already in our passports be enough?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

• the muzungu says:

I have forwarded your comment to my immigration advisor as I can’t answer all your questions. However, you should try and give one month for your visa approval letter. You do not get your actual visa until you are in the country, so 90 days will start from the date of visa, not date of approval letter. Hope that clarifies that aspect.

23. Jay says:

Ugh, as for the comment I just posted: I actually meant Rwanda would be our first point of entry! If the answers differ much between the two, we’re actually looking for tips on entering Rwanda via EATV first. 🙂

• the muzungu says:

Hi Jay, according to blog readers’ feedback, Rwanda seems to have the most reliable online application system, so entering the EATV zone (and therefore applying) via Rwanda is a good decision.

24. Anne says:

Hello. I am travelling to Entebbe from Tanzania at very short notice. I am not sure what is best? To try and apply for the e-visa (and risk it not being approved in time) or to travel directly to Entebbe and apply at the airport? I would only have 2.5 days for processing. Look forward to your advice.

• the muzungu says:

Hello Anne. Just go to Entebbe. Many people are still getting tourist visas at the airport so, based on what I’ve heard recently, I’m sure it will be fine. The process can be quick online but many people experience delays. Ideally I’m told you should apply one month in advance.

25. the muzungu says:

UPDATE April 2017: To use the online visa application system, you are advised to apply one month in advance. This is the feedback I have been getting from somebody who works for immigration in Kampala. However, many people are still getting their visas on arrival in Entebbe.

26. Will says:

Hi there,

I have attempted to use the E-Visa form, I filled it all in and uploaded all documentation as requested. When on stage 4, I submit my form. It ended up taking a very long time, with the “Wait Please” part. Eventually after 4-5 minutes, it came back with a concerning error which follows:

“Cannot apply twice with the same passport for the same visa or permit type (same passport number, same document type and same issuing country)”

This is the very first time I’ve ever filled in the form, and would be the very first time ever going to Uganda, so there would be no reason that I would have applied twice.

Another concerning thing is that it seems the website is done very poorly, Even the Contact form does not send any messages/forms and times out. 5 different computers (3 on totally different internet connections) None of which work and comes back with a Sorry message.

Have you ever come across this? Unsure if it’s a server error or not as I cannot contact them!

• the muzungu says:

Hi Will, how frustrating for you. This is a relatively new system so there are still teething issues. I imagine that they are server errors, rather than anything that you have done wrong with your application. I have sent your message onto my immigration adviser to see whether he has any feedback for you but it might be simplest if you just turn up Entebbe International airport and get visa on arrival, like many are still doing.

• William says:

Hi,

In the end, it seems like my application went through, though seemed to have double sent on its own accord. I had to contact Support who supplied the application number, as no email was received.

It’s now been a week and my application is still “IN PROGRESS”
        APPLICATION STATUS: IN PROGRESS
        Your application approval is in progress.

Any ideas how long this takes? My friend who did the EVisa a few days before got his application approved in a matter of 3 days.

• the muzungu says:

Hi William, see my reply to your second comment.
          Regarding how long this will take, I cannot say since you first need to check whether you have supplied all the documents they requested. Although some people are lucky and have the applications approved in a few days, others have reported delays. My immigration advisor has said people should allow one month for the process and that is the advice I give above in my blog.

27. Mabuhay says:

Hi,
    The information’s you have provided here were very helpful. I have just submitted via online my application for tourist visa my host is my husband. His working visa will expire on July 2017. The site already replied that my application is deferred and I need to submit an invitation letter and immigration status of the host. I have not bought my 2 way ticket yet because I am set to leave on June 18. Given the information that I have provided what are my chances of getting an approval. Also may I request of a sample of a standard invitation letter that would surely help me gain an approval. Thank you so much in advance for your help.

• the muzungu says:

Hello Mabuhay, thanks for the positive feedback on this article.
      I have forwarded your enquiry to my immigration advisor and asked him to send you a standard invitation letter. Feel free to follow up with me via my contact page if you don’t hear back in the next few days.
      If your application has been deferred, they will not do any more work on it until they have received the documents requested. It is quite common for people to have their applications deferred because they have missed out some of the documents, so there is nothing to worry about once you have sent them what they ask for 🙂

28. Chris says:

Hi, I applied for the east Africa tourist visa, but I didn’t get any email after that. I did’t notice any application ID information during the application. And when I request for ID, it shows they send a email that contain my application ID to my email address. However, I checked both inbox and spam folder and I think I didn’t receive it. So now I am unable to go to the manage your application page, and really don’t know if is been approved or denied.

• the muzungu says:

Hi Chris, this is the first time I have heard that an applicant did not receive an email, so I’m not sure what to suggest. Can you try the application again? That will confirm whether the system is processing your application or not. I have forwarded your email to the East Africa Tourism Platform to see what their view is.

• Chris says:

Thank you so much for the help. I just try to apply again. And I got this massage below:
        Sorry
        Error submitting the application.
        The email address I used for application is not 1281*****@qq.com. I am really sorry for that. The email I entered this time for the comment is what I used during application.

• the muzungu says:

I have been given the following feedback: “where it says you cannot apply twice, it means the system took on the application with the errors. In such cases, I change something on the passport number like yours I then include GBR which I would not put in the first time.”

Hello Chris
      On which immigration platform did you apply for your visa (Kenya, Rwanda or Uganda?)
      Which country/ies are you visiting?
      Which country will you visit first?
      Once you provide that info, the East Africa Tourism Platform will do their best to direct you to the right institution/person.

29. Jessica Chen says:

Would it be possible to be issued another tourist visa after having been in Uganda only 2 months ago? My old visa expired and I came back to Canada but want to visit again.

• the muzungu says:

Yes, if you are outside UG, you can apply for a new tourist visa, no problem.
      Once here, you can stay in UG for upto six months at a go on a tourist visa but you will need to go to immigration on Old Port Bell Road to get it extended first. You are given upto 90 days when you first enter the country. 90 days is not automatically given. You may need to request it. (Same cost)

30. Mark says:

Very helpful thread. We have a group traveling to Uganda in June and a few of us have already applied for our visas online and they have been approved. As in recent trips, we got our approval letter via e-mail and were not required to pay online (we payed at Entebbe airport). In the last few days, a couple of our team members applied online and they received the following message in the confirmation e-mail “Your application for Visa was successfully received in our system. This application has to be paid online. If the application is not paid online it will not be processed and will be automatically cancelled.” When checking the status of the application online, the status is shown as “In Progress” with a note saying “The payment should be done online, the application will not be processed until the payment is done. All the online payments are subjected to a 3% surcharge fee.” So, I am wondering if this has changed recently and we really have to pay online to get the approval? Thanks for any help you can provide.

• the muzungu says:

Hello Mark, thanks for sharing your feedback.
      It has just been announced that you can now pay online for your Uganda tourist visa during the visa application process. There is a 3% surcharge for the online payment.
      If you want to avoid queues at the airport, you might want to do this. However, you can still pay at Entebbe airport if you go for ‘visa on arrival.’

• Kris says:

Same problem. Our Visa application were approved, we received the barcode and got an email today, saying “application cancelled”. What can I do now?

• the muzungu says:

Hi Kris, it sounds like you will have to start a new application 🙁 sorry. I imagine it is because they have just implemented the payment aspect of the system and they need you to pay online now. [Or just apply and pay when you get to the airport].

• Mark says:

Thanks! If I understand correctly, ‘visa on arrival’ does not involve applying for visa online but rather just waiting until you arrive at Entebbe airport and applying for visa then. Correct? If we want to get our visa approval prior to arriving in Entebbe, it seems that we MUST now pay online. If we do not pay online, it seems that our application will remain in the “In Progress” state until we arrive. Agree? As it seems this is an early trial of online payments, I’m curious if others out there have had success getting through immigration without issues after paying online?

• the muzungu says:

Hi Mark, the online payment system has literally just launched so we wait to see what the feedback is regarding your last point (i.e. whether people get through immigration without issues after they have paid online).
          ‘Visa on arrival’ means you apply for and purchase your visa when you get to Entebbe airport. There are two systems there currently: the original paper-based system plus the online application system.
          If you don’t pay online, I’m not sure how long the system will wait until it cancels your application. I will try and find out…

• Will says:

Sorry to hijack the post, but my application also says “The payment should be done online, the application will not be processed until the payment is done. All the online payments are subjected to a 3% surcharge fee.” and has been stuck in “IN PROGRESS” for the last week, though I never originally received an email for my application, only when I made amends, I received the Application Received email.

I also read your URL link Muzungu, it was posted Tuesday 25th and mentions in the article that “Mr Siminyu told Daily Monitor in a Monday interview that the service will become mandatory to payments for visas online after one week.” Monday being May 1st, would this be the issue?

• the muzungu says:

Hi Will, it is now mandatory to pay online if you are doing the online application process.
          Regarding, the message saying that your application is ‘in progress’ I am checking to see whether this means the same as ‘pending.’ When applications have been ‘pending’ it has meant that documents were missing, so I would double check that you have sent all the documents they have requested.
          I have put in a phone call to my immigration advisor and shall give you feedback as I receive it.

• Chris says:

I had the same problem, and I sent a email to them by application website. Here is what I got:
          You can login https://visas.immigration.go.ug/#/check with yo details and chose PAY. If its not available. Click cancel . Then when the cancellation process is successful, u begin a fresh application. It will
          have the PAY option. Sorry for any inconveniences
          So I just cancelled and applied again, and this time I paid successfully.

31. JAL BOl KONG says:

I’m in DR Congo Goma. south Sudanese National under UN as a refugee I need Electronic visa from Uganda, I don’t know how much the price of that visa how can I get it. you can direct me on how I pay the amount.

32. Benson says:

Hi, thank you for the nice work. I applied for a visa to enable travel to Entebbe, Uganda for a conference in June. Although the status is still showing “Your application approval is in progress”. If I made any modification, i hope it will not affect or change any thing?

• the muzungu says:

Thanks for the appreciation:) but I don’t understand your question. My understanding is that you should not edit your application unless they ask you to do so. See the Help section of the Uganda immigration websites and please read through the other comments here too.

• Benson says:

Hi, there is option for modification when i check the status. My question is will it affect the processing of my application if i make any modification?

• the muzungu says:

I really can’t say because 1) I don’t know what you are modifying and 2) I do not manage the system. See the Help section of the Uganda immigration website [link is above]. You can always cancel applic and start a new one 🙂

33. AHMED ALLAM says:

Hi, Thank you for the nice artical, .

I applied for a visa to Uganda for a conference in may, but still show “Your application approval is in progress”. till now I didn’t receive any thing, my travel will be after few days and don’t know what to do,
    can you help me please.
    MY application Number is 417054386
    DATE OF BIRTH 19/06/1971

Thanks

• the muzungu says:

Hi Ahmed, you will need to access the online system yourself to understand more. I’m just a travel blogger 🙂
      It is possible you have not sent them one document they need, or that you still need to pay. Please read all the other comments too. That will guide you. Good luck.

• ah says:

Dear Muzungu
        thanks for the reply,
        i already payed 51.3 us dollar, they asked me tp submit the Ticket and Hotel Booking and the Travel plan!!
        when i went to upload the travel documents, i find only CANCEL button i have to click, no other button for modifications or submission,
        so, how can i solve this problem,
        regards

• Ahmed Allam says:

Today they sent me an email to wait and it is on hold

34. Peter says:

Hello,
    I have applied for a visa on the platform and received a mail for approval one month ago. So 2 days ago i applied once again for a new trip and didnt bear taking note of the application ID. but this time no mails. tried to get my application id with the retrieval procedure but still no mail. And i have already paid.

I have tried to applied again with the “GBR” mention as recommended in an earlier post but cant work as my passport number is already maximum character authorized.

I have requested for support in the contact session but i am not expecting to get an answer.
    Any idea?

Thanks.

• the muzungu says:

If you look in my post above, you will see a link to frequently asked questions on the Uganda immigration website. It tells you how to input characters correctly.
      Since it is now Wednesday, you may not get your approval letter in time. You can still apply and pay for your visa upon arrival in Entebbe.

• Peter says:

Thanks for your reply. Is it sure i can pay upon arrival.
        I would not like to go on an 18 hours trip just to get back the same day lol. Not to mention the cost of the flight tickets

• the muzungu says:

I cannot guarantee that you can apply and pay on arrival but many people have been doing so and still are as I write to you. Ultimately, Uganda immigration make the rules and seem to change them with little notice.

• Peter says:

Well finally i have applied again and paid again but for it to work i had to be an additionnal letter at the end of my passport number. Hope they will approve. Usually takes 24 hours. So i will be telling u tommorow

• Peter says:

Hello,
          Finally my second submission has been approved. However to apply a second time i had to put an additional letter at the end of my passport number.
          Now the challenge will be to go through immigration as they will probably notice the difference. Already feeling the pressure 🙂

• the muzungu says:

I’m sure it will all work out fine [interested to hear whether they notice the extra letter!]

• Peter says:

it did work out fine. I arrived in the week end. And they let me go straight. when the lady scanned my visa, she even knew that i came to Uganda before but didnt say anything about the extra letter.
            she delivered the physical visa on my passport but with the right passport number. So she maybe noticed also but did not make a case of it.
            In any case Thanks for your kind help. I wish their immigration service was as diligent as you (still no response despite reminders).

• the muzungu says:

Hello Peter, very happy to hear it’s all worked out fine. Thanks for the positive feedback. Have a fantastic trip!

35. Peter says:

Hi,

I have applied for a visa 2 months ago. It went well and i received approval by mail. So 2 days i applied again but this time did not take note of the application ID as i was expecting a mail. Didnt happen. Try to request the application ID with the retrieval system, still no mail. i have already paid online

I have tried to apply again using the mention “GBR” as recommended in a previous post but cant work as my passport number is already maximum character. I am due to live on friday.

Any advice?

Thanks

36. Valerie Bell says:

Hi just applied for evisa using my irish passport but to my knowledge irish passport holders are visa fee exempt but it says unless fee is paid applications will be automatically cancelled. I travel on june 5th if they do cancel can i still get visa at entebbe

37. Inge Levels says:

Hi,
    I am traveling tomorrow to Uganda from Kigali, Rwanda. This means I will cross the border at Katuna. I applied e-visa and it was approved. Now it says in the email you get, that you need to bring an Recent Passport-size Photograph. Since I had to extend my visa for Rwanda I used all my original ones I had left. I still have a copy of it online so I printed out the copy in the mandatory size.
    Is this going to be a problem at the border? Or do I need to look for a place to still make a original one?

Thank you!

• the muzungu says:

Hi Inge, I don’t know the official answer to this one. I have sent a message to my immigration adviser to ask his opinion but I don’t know whether I will hear back from him before you travel. This is the first time I have heard of somebody needing a passport size photograph to enter Uganda so your enquiry is very useful information. I would have done exactly what you have done 🙂
      I would be interested in reading your feedback on your experience crossing the border. I’m sure everything will be fine but this is an interesting development.

38. Tim Seymour says:

Hello, I am travelling to Uganda in August from the UK. I have just applied for a visa, and one of my selections was to say that the “Point of entry or where you want to have your visa personalised” I selected as London. Does that mean I need to go to the embassy before I travel to get the visa printed into my passport?

Thanks

Tim

39. Faridah says:

Hello Muzungu
    We have applied and paid for Ugandan visas online And received the visa with a bar code is there anything else to pay on arrival at Entebbe airport ?

40. Nancy says:

We are leaving for Entebbe July 3rd and I am just now beginning the process, do you think i have enough time to receive the visa? About 3 weeks

• the muzungu says:

Hi Nancy, you may be ok if you submit all docs correctly, however 1) it is now peak season and 2) we generally advise allowing one month. However, people are also still getting tourist visas in person at Entebbe.

41. Louise says:

Hiya
    I’m travelling to Uganda from England and when I applied for my visa they asked for an invitation letter? I’m leaving in 2 weeks and don’t know what to do if I don’t get the visa??!

• the muzungu says:

Hi Louise, an invitation letter is standard e.g. from a host organisation or employer, if applicable, or show a copy of a travel itinerary, e.g. from a tour operator, and a return ticket. Entebbe is still issuing visas on arrival however, so I am sure you will be fine 🙂

42. Emmanuel says:

If one’s application got deferred. I was told to upload certain document.
    Will I pay for the visa fee again?.
    Thanks.

43. Melissa says:

So we are having the same problem many have already asked about…. My daughter is traveling to Uganda on Tuesday. She applied for her visa June 15 and never received an email. I did write her application ID down, but have since misplaced it. All week we have been emailing and using the link to request the application ID so that we could check the visa status online. We continue to not receive any return emails. I am up late in order to try and call, but after reading your post and all of the comments, would it be best to just reapply by adding a letter to her passport number. We did pay for the first application with a credit card and the total was posted the next day…. One other person she is traveling with is having the same problem. Thank you so much for your help! I was very excited to find your post tonight!

• the muzungu says:

Hi Melissa, glad to help 🙂 It’s very helpful to read your and other travellers’ feedback.
      I think yes, try adding the ‘missing letter…’ if you reapply. My immigration advisor told me this usually works. However, if you do that, you will have to pay again. won’t you?
      If I were your daughter, I would just rock up at Entebbe and purchase on arrival.

44. Dorota says:

Hello,

I have one question. I have applied for a visa one week ago and still waiting for approval. On “Manage your application” site there is a status “in progress” and I have an option to modify and to cancel. Does the option “modify” means that there is some more information required from me and I should click on it? Or if there was more information required I would receive and email or phonecall requesting it? Thank you for your help.

• the muzungu says:

If more info required you should – in theory – have received an email to that effect. If it were me, I’d click on ‘modify’ and see if I can work out what might be missing. Look thru comments on this page for clues 🙂
      NOTE: approval letter can take a month…

• Dorota says:

Thank you very much for your reply. Earlier I found on official website that it takes 2-3 working days and that’s why I did not apply earlier. I am to leave to Uganda in a week. What should I do if I don’t receive an approval letter by then? Is there any procedure?

45. Vic says:

Hi
    This is great info. I also have misplaced ID! Will I need evidence of payment of fee or will they have record of that at immigration do you think?
    Thanks so much

46. Mike says:

I’m wondering what the longest it could possibly take to get the visa on arrival processed at the airport? A friend is flying in an hour later, and Id like to be on hand to help him if I can linger in the immigration area for long enough. Is this possible? And would my bag be safe if I didnt claim it for an hour? Thank you!

• the muzungu says:

Time depends on no. of flights arriving at airport when you arrive. Also, your plane could arrive late / his early, or vice versa… immigration may ask you to move along but I can’t really say. I’m sure your bag would be safe if left for just one hour.

47. ursela says:

I have also problems with getting approval for my visa application. It was first being studied and now the status is in progress. Are you really sure that i can get a visa at the airport of entebbe? Otherwise i try to cancel my application and get one tru a agency. I also travel to Zanzibar for one week, and need to apply for visa there also. In de east Afrika visum is Tanzania not included i understand?

• the muzungu says:

Lots of people have been getting visas on arrival at Entebbe. Pls read the comments here with dates.
      The East Africa Tourist Visa covers Uganda, Rwanda and Kenya only.

48. Farah says:

Hi muzungu, jukumando, how long it takes to approve e Visa when I apply? Thanks jukumando

• the muzungu says:

That all depends on whether you have submitted all the docs correctly + how busy immigration is. Some people report 2-3 days turnaround, others a few weeks…. allow one month

49. Raymond says:

I sent someone to have my visa extended. It was approved for only 2 months? I was told the cost for the extension was $50? Is that correct?

• the muzungu says:

Immigration do not charge to extend a visa but your fixer may have charged you. Although you are allowed to stay six months in UG on one tourist visa, if you get 3 months initially, they will generally only extend one or two months. They rarely give an extension of three months.

50. Faridah says:

Hello Chris
    What is the best currency to exchange in Uganda……Dollars or pounds ?
    Thanks

Chris, who’s Chris?
      Call me Cha, Charlotte or Charlie 🙂
      You can exchange both + Euros and other major currencies in forex bureaus and banks but dollars are widely accepted as payment in tourist hotels and the like. ATMs are only found in major towns – and not 100% function! Always best to sort out money in Kampala and Entebbe before you travel anywhere else.

51. Lisa says:

Hi Mzungu,

me and my friend are flying to Entebbe in August. Is it possible to just apply for the visa online without paying for it right away? I would rather pay for it in person at the airport.

Thanks for your answer in advance!

52. KTS says:

Hello, Mzungu,

Great, great site. So helpful.
    My problem: I have been traveling to Uganda for 10 years and so was surprised to find that I now need to apply for visa in advance. Submitted application online last week but then saw this week application has been deferred bc I need a letter of invitation. I obtained one and have been trying to upload it for the past 2 days to no avail. System doesn’t recognize my application # / passport # / date of birth combination so I can’t “manage my application.” Similarly, when I try to send an inquiry via “Contact” page, it does not go through.
    I am a little nervous because I leave the US on Tuesday for Europe, will head to Uganda the following week.
    Because I can’t seem to win with the website, I left 3 messages with Ugandan embassy in DC. Will be in London this Friday, can try to go to embassy there in person if necessary – but what is the word on obtaining on arrival these days? I do hope this is still possible… Any updates / reassurances, welcome.

53. KC says:

Last year, we passed through security at Entebbe airport, en route to Nairobi, and reached the check-in desks. I had my yellow fever certificate but my wife didn’t have hers (as we hadn’t been told it was required). The security guard refused to allow her to check in and told her to go to a clinic at the airport where a yellow fever inoculation could be done. However, airport security refused point blank for her to go back out of the airport departure area. So, she was stuck in limbo, unable to go forwards or backwards. At this point, a senior looking figure in a uniform and peaked cap came up to her and asked for her passport “with 100,000 UGX to be within it”. He then disappeared into the toilets and five minutes later returned with her passport and a fully completed yellow fever certificate in her name showing the dates she had been inoculated etc and the actual batch of medicine used. She then showed this to the same man who five minutes earlier knew she didn’t have such a certificate. He didn’t bat an eyelid but allowed her to pass through to the check in desk as all was now in order. Welcome to Uganda. This is how most things work here. I should know as I’ve now been 19 times in seven years.

54. Hi, my name is Abdullahi. I was going to Uganda 19/07/2017 but Qatar airways told me I can not fly without visa to Uganda and I told them I will get the visa on travel but they said it’s only for citizens. But now I have made an application last Saturday and I have paid but I do not know how long it will take. I travel before august started

• the muzungu says:

Hi Abdullahi, the visual approval process can take a few weeks or a few days. This is the peak period for travel. Can you contact the airline and show them proof that you have applied? There seems to be a disconnect between some airlines’ insistence on a visa approval letter and Uganda’s immigration system. (I don’t understand what they’re saying about visas only being for citizens. Citizens of a country do not need visas). Sorry I can’t be of any more help

55. Samy says:

Hi,

Below is the link of Onlinechess tournament of Ugandan Chess players.

I do want to participate as an individual Chess player from India into the Offline section ( walk-in Chess player ) in person apart from visiting beautiful places of Uganda. Should I apply for Business visa ( or) Visiting visa?
    Because I am confused on this case!

Thanks
    Samy

56. Brad says:

We arrive with 20 people to do Volunteer work with Watoto on September 1st. We’ve tried a couple times to pay for the visa online, but keep getting “unsuccessful payment”. We’ve contacted both the bank, credit card company and verified by visa, and all of them are allowing the payment to go through but it keeps not going through. Any thoughts? Also we have one person in out party that has a passport expiring the end of NOV 2017 (this year)… we’ll only be in country for 10 days. So you think we’ll have an issue with the date being 3 months out? Thanks for any and all help. B

Hi Brad
      Last first: you need minimum 6 months passport validity.
      Not sure what to advise re payment issue other than 1) reapply and pay using different card or 2) apply and pay in person at Entebbe. Still commonly done…

57. jacqui says:

Hi – completed form on line and a reference number came up but I did not record it – pressed pay button and the system crashed. Tried again from stratch and it said I could not apply twice. send email asking for reminder of reference number but no response. Cannot pay or cancel and start again without reference number and cannot get the reference number. Any ideas?

58. jacqui says:

Had some problems getting my application ID – forgotten ID button does not work. You need to go on the Uganda Immigration Facebook Page where they answer queries promptly and send you your ID . Hope that saves someone some time Jacqui

59. Nat says:

First,
    I want to say that this is blog is great and the owner definitely deserves more than just couple of beers!

I’ve red all the questions and answers, but my situation is a bit different.

My girlfriend (who has a yellow fever certificate) and I (who doesn’t have one) are going to cross to Uganda from Kenya, probably by bus. So no airport, just a regular border crossing. At this point in time, I can not get the vaccine in my country because they run out of the supply. Hopefully this is going to be fixed next week, but it is still not sure..

So, my questions are:
    Is it possible to get the visa there on the border crossing without applying online? Just fill the papers and pay 50 dollars?
    And more importantly, how strict are they when checking the yellow fever certificate? I heard from people who cross from Kenya to Uganda that they are not nearly as strict as on the Entebbe airport.

I know that these are not an easy questions to answer, but the help would be greatly appreaciated. The risk of me getting a yellow fever is literally non existant. I will be staying with my sister in Kampala. And i just don’t want to have the situation where someone can deny me the entry to Uganda. If it is possible to get the vaccine when crossing the border by land, that is fine as well.

Once more,
    Thank you so much for this great blog.

• the muzungu says:

Hi Nat, thanks for your great comments – I need to make sure you get to Kampala, just so you can buy me those beers! LOL.
      Now let’s start with Kenya. In theory you should have Yellow Fever certificate to enter Kenya. How are you getting to Kenya? I had to show mine recently (by road). I did not have the original to hand. I just flashed a photo of it on my phone (tho immigration did not actually check it).
      Secondly, Ministry of Health has declared Uganda Yellow Fever free. However, I guess risk could come from other countries – so you still need the YF certificate.
      As far as I know you can’t get the jabs at road border, unlike EBB airport where you can.
      Lastly, Uganda seems to have relaxed visa applic process at airport i.e. you can get visa on arrival still but I have to check re road border… I have a work permit so I use the Interstate Pass (the local version of the East Africa Tourist Visa).

• Nat says:

Thank you so much for a great reply!
        I took the vaccine today, so in the end there was no need for additional uncertanity. But if you happen to be around Kampala from 5th to 12th October, my girlfriend and I would be more than happy to congratulate you for doing the great job with some beers 🙂 (the e-mail is for real 🙂

All the best from Serbia!

• the muzungu says:

Glad you managed to get your jab and avoid any potential hassle at airport.
          Thanks for beer invite – but sadly I will not be in Kampala that week. You must try a Nile Special and definitely (a few) Uganda Waragi, our local gin. Triple distilled, top quality, great taste!
          Have a SUPERB trip!

60. Maksym says:

Hello, Muzungu!
      Thank you very much for this wonderful and very useful blog. I sent a completed application with a copy of the passport, a yellow fever vaccination certificate and a passport-size photo, paid $ 50 only last night, and this morning I received an approval letter with a barcode. This approval letter is a visa and I do not need to wait for anything else? Thank you very much for the answer!

• the muzungu says:

Hello again Nat. This is what I have been told “I know you can enter Uganda without a Yellow Fever Certificate (though this is not official). Am sure they will pass (across the border) only that the officers may make some noise but eventually they will allow. Also for Visa they can apply there.” If there is any way you can get your Yellow Fever Cert + visa before you get to the border, I would certainly do that, if only for peace of mind… As you see, rules are one thing, reality on the ground is a little different.

61. Maksym says:

Hello, Muzungu!
      Thank you very much for this wonderful and very useful blog. I sent a completed application with a copy of the passport, a yellow fever vaccination certificate and a passport-size photo, paid $ 50 only last night, and this morning I received an approving letter with a barcode. This approval letter is a visa and I do not need to wait for anything else? Thank you very much for the answer!

62. Chris says:

Hi Muzungu
    Just a little concerned about a previous question. Is it the case that if one is applying for a tourist visa and visiting a friend, i will need an invitation letter and/or proof of their ugandan nationality in the form of an upload of their passport? I have visited Uganda 4 times and on the last occasion in 2010 it was no problem. i have always applied at the High Commission in London by the way.

63. Parker says:

Is it in fact still possible to obtain the visa at the airport?

I have tried to pay using several credit cards and the payment just won’t go through. I think the traditional system was more convenient, especially since they can still turn passengers away even after having this “e-visa”. Further complicating matters is the fact that no one responds to the emails via their system.

• the muzungu says:

Is it in fact still possible to obtain the visa at the airport? YES.
      Further complicating matters is the fact that no one responds to the emails via their system. SEE THREAD ABOVE – it seems you do get quick replies via Uganda Immigration Facebook page 🙂

64. Hayley says:

Hi Muzungu you are very kind helping everybody with their concerns I hope you can advise me too. Is it possible to apply for your tourist visa too early? I applied for myself and my son last week for our trip arriving Entebbe 13/02/2018. Mine was approved but my sons deferred with the reason ‘ please modify date of arrival, visa only valid for 3 months after approval’
    Does that mean that my approved visa will have expired before I even arrive?

• the muzungu says:

Hi Hayley, note you have a visa approval letter (not a visa, at this point). It will only last 3 months so yes, yours will already have expired 🙁 You’ll need to reapply I’m afraid and pay again. I don’t think there is a way around this… but try contacting Uganda Immigration via their Facebook page

65. christine says:

Dear Muzungu

I am about to travel to Uganda and have an old yellow fever certificate from 2002 – do you know whether this is acceptable to the Visa office? Or will they think it is too old?

I am beginning to wonder whether it might not be better just to do at the airport as I have done once before (about seven years ago) although the line was very long and very slow — because reading your posts and excellent advice above, there does not seem to be much benefit in applying online.

Can I just add to all the previous posters that this has been enormously helpful to read. Thank you!!

Hi Christine, thanks for positive feedback 🙂
      Medical advice is that you should not have more than one Yellow Fever in your lifetime so it should not matter how old your certificate is, assuming info is written on it is legible.
      I think your second line refers to visa application: apply (and pay) online if you have time. Although you can still get in person at Entebbe, that will take longer. Line lengths depend on no. of planes that land at Entebbe at the same time… By the way, some airlines insist that passengers show their visa approval letter before boarding (tho I have only heard a very few instances of this; and I’m sure word has spread that Entebbe are running online / traditional systems concurrently)

66. Sandra says:

Dear Charlie,

Thank you very much for your blog, it is very interesting and helpful.
    I will be travelling to Entebbe in November and, following your advice, I will be applying for the visa in October. My questions are: can I provide a provisional date of arrival as I am not sure about the exact date? Will the visa letter be valid from the moment the authorities approve my application or from the date I wrote on the application?
    Thank you once more.

• the muzungu says:

Visa approval letter is valid from the date immigration issue it. Standard you get is 90 days – tho at airport (when you get actual visa) you will only get 90 days actual visa if you ask for it, in my experience. I don’t think it matters if actual date of arrival is different from the provisional one. Hope that helps 🙂

67. Sandra says:

Dear Muzungo,

I will be traveling to Uganda next month but I do not have the exact dates yet. I was planning to request a visa for the first week of November but I might travel on the second week. Does the arrval date have to be precise or will the visa be valid If I arrive later?
    Thank you very much.

• the muzungu says:

Hi Sandra. The visa approval letter lasts 90 days. If I were you, I’d insert the earlier date but your exact date of entry should not matter, so if you arrive a week later, you’ll be covered. Happy Landings