Come experience 'the Best of Africa.' Let the Muzungu share with you my love of all things Ugandan, weekly. Its simple to sign up and it's free.

I guarantee 100% privacy. Your information will not be shared.

NOW LIVE: apply for Ugandan tourist visas online

Jul 1 • 7329 views • 30 Comments on NOW LIVE: apply for Ugandan tourist visas online How to...? Uganda travel tips, Travel tips and advice, Uganda

All Ugandan tourist visas are now online. Apply BEFORE you travel! (Update from Kampala, Uganda, effective July 1, 2016).

The Ministry of Internal Affairs is implementing a new online electronic visa application system. This is mandatory for applying for all Ugandan visas, including: entry permit (work permit), Uganda tourist visa, multiple entry visa, transit visa, East Africa tourist visa, student pass, diplomatic visa, official visa, special pass, Certificate of Residence, dependant pass.

All requests for visas and work permits (E-Visa and E-permits) should now be completed via this link on the Uganda immigration website.

Under the new application process, applicants for all immigration services such as visas, work permits and passes will be required to apply and pay online, and an electronic notification / authorization will be sent to the applicant before proceeding to the preferred Entry Point e.g. Entebbe International Airport or the nearest Uganda Mission abroad for the visa to be issued.

NOTE: Management anticipates that the full implementation may take several weeks – (the Kenyan e-visa had teething problems for a number of months, so expect the same for Uganda). Information via Uganda Tourism Board in July stated: “Through the month of July 2016, it will still be possible to get visas on arrival. However, the traveler will have to go through the electronic application process (as above) at the port of entry.” [December 2016: the cut-off date for this has not been communicated].

If you are traveling to Uganda and applying for a Ugandan visa online, you are advised to:

Apply at least two weeks prior to travel.

Be prepared. You need to complete the online application in one sitting. The online application does not allow you to save your information and return to the screen later.  Have these ready: a copy of your bio page of your passport, a recent passport photo, and Yellow Fever vaccination certificate. You will need to upload these. For more info on the exact documents needed, according to type of visa you require, go to the Uganda immigration web site general information page.

Only PDF, JPEG, PNG and BMP files are accepted. The files you upload should not be bigger than 250 KB (that’s pretty small!)

This page of the Uganda immigration web site details the fees for applying for Ugandan visas online.

The decision taken on the online application (“yes” or “no” on whether you’re coming to Uganda) will be sent via email. Assuming you get the go-ahead, an approval letter will be sent as an attachment to the email. Print this travel authorization (showing a barcode). Keep this with your travel documents.

Present the printed barcode at point of entry [read “border”] together with a valid passport / travel document of “not less than 6 months validity” and you will get your visa.

NOTE: “the travel authorization letter does not guarantee entry into Uganda. Travelers will be subjected to secondary verification where necessary before personalization,” meaning it is not 100% guarantee you will be issued a visa at the airport / border / Uganda mission (but you very probably will unless you’ve been very naughty indeed).

UPDATE: This letter states that the Uganda Tourist Visa will be REDUCED from 100 USD to 50 USD tomorrow 22nd July.

Uganda tourist visa $50 only from 22.07.16

This letter states that the Uganda tourist visa is being REDUCED from 100 USD to 50 USD on 22nd July 2016.

Any feedback or questions on getting Ugandan visas online? Do please contact the muzungu or share in the comments below. I review this page on a regular basis.

« »

Related posts

30 Responses to NOW LIVE: apply for Ugandan tourist visas online

1. Alison says:

Thanks for the information. I’m due to travel there in September and the boyfriend (Ugandan) didn’t mention this…..words with him later!

2. Maricarmen says:

Hi! I’m already in Uganda under an East Africa visa I will be traveling to Kenya and Tanzania and need to come back to Entebbe for my flight to the UK. Do you think I will have to apply for another visa even if I’m staying at the airport for 6 hours? Do you know who I can contact in the Uganda immigration office?

Thank you very much for the info!

• the muzungu says:

Hello Maricarmen

I have checked with an immigration advisor today. He tells me:

The person does not need to pay for another especially where she already has the East African Visa.

Safari njema! Safe travels!

3. Another Ugandan Muzungu says:

Hey,

I’m traveling back to Uganda for the third time on August and without you I would probably not know anything about this new interesting visa applying system. I can imagine our faces on Entebbe airport when the officers would tell us that we forgot something.. 😀

Webale kuyamba nnyabo!

• the muzungu says:

Very happy to help 🙂

Safe travels and do please share any feedback you have on the new system. Inevitably, there will be teething problems, as with any new system

4. Elizabeth says:

Please Help, I have a flight booked to land this Friday and I did not know this. I was told I could get a Visa at the airport. What should I do?

• the muzungu says:

Hi Elizabeth, don’t worry – you will still be able to get a visa at Entebbe International Airport during July while they are implementing the new system. Immigration have confirmed this, as have people I know who arrived last week. Safe travels!

• the muzungu says:

You may be on the plane already but … Uganda tourist visa reduced to $50 only from Friday 22.07.16 🙂

5. the muzungu says:

Uganda is getting stricter with checking Yellow Fever certificates, as demonstrated by the fact that if you do the now compulsory online E visa application in advance, you will need to upload a copy of your Yellow Fever certificate.
    Vaccination costs 100k UGX at Entebbe airport, which is approximately 40 USD. As my immigration contact says, you don’t really want to have the vaccination done at the airport! There is no quarantine.
    When I flew back in the country two months ago, I just flashed a photo of my Yellow Fever certificate on my phone and they didn’t check it. They are being stricter now.

6. Jennie says:

Thank you for all your help, just submitted our applications (and had to downsize all the documents as you quite rightly pointed out!) It’s gone through quite smoothly, now wait to hear if we’ve been successful……will let you know and see you soon X

7. Billy says:

Hi,
    Quick question? Can we still get the east african visa at the airport on arrival? If not, what kind of documents are they expecting when asking for the travel itinerary?
    I am going there next week end.

Thanks.
    Billy

• the muzungu says:

Use the online system and get your visa approval letter ASAP. It generally takes 2 to 4 days. If not, you have to use the online system. . . . at Entebbe Airport! [There may be lines / queues].
      Re the travel itinerary, that is what a tour company gives you. But if traveling independently, show hotel bookings if poss for the EATV countries you plan to visit.

8. Pete says:

We are bringing a group of USA citizens to do volunteer medical service and then participate in a short safari. Some members of the group have not had their visa applications approved or they are needing additional documentation when the application is processed. If they don’t have a final approval email from the online visa registration system can they still fill out a paper application when they get there? Will they be able to board the outbound flight from USA and from Europe to go to Uganda without this emailed approval form with the barcode? Lots of time and money has gone into planning this service trip and we don’t want to have issues with getting on our flights or getting through Uganda immigration.

• the muzungu says:

Hello Pete, apologies for slow reply. I have been travelling up country. I’ve been in contact with my immigration advisor and we shall get back to you with a reply today.

• the muzungu says:

I have just sent you an email. My immigration advisor has asked that you send him a copy of the rejected / deferred visa applications so he can advise on the way forward. By the way, the whole system is online now. For anyone who does not have the visa approval letter when coming to Entebbe, they have to apply online at the airport.

9. […] Jul 1 › NOW LIVE: apply for Ugandan tourist visas online » […]

10. Brenda says:

A friend of mine from Norway has tried to apply for the visa to Uganda online but the system has failed, what should he do ?

• the muzungu says:

Hi Brenda, interesting to hear that the system has failed. What happened exactly?
      If you’re travelling to Uganda in the near future, you can still get your visa in person at the airport. Immigration is currently allowing people to apply for their visa at Entebbe International airport, although this will be phased out eventually. When is your friend travelling?

11. the muzungu says:

UPDATE December 2016:
    Although the visa system went online a few months ago, immigration are allowing people to apply online at the airport for a little longer. Christmas and New Year are busy times of the year so they are not going to refuse tourists entry to the country. However, there may be a queue of people in front of you, so be prepared for that.
    Regarding the Yellow Fever certificate, you need to have the vaccination at least 10 days before you travel for the certificate to be valid – BUT you can still have the vaccination at Entebbe airport, if you don’t have a valid Yellow Fever Certificate.
    Feedback from travellers is that both visas AND Yellow Fever jabs are easily got at Entebbe… until further notice.

12. Angela says:

SO glad I found your blog, have been enjoying reading it so much! 🙂 I’m in the US and coming to Uganda for 2 1/2 weeks in Feb, glad I now have this info about the visa!

• the muzungu says:

Hello Angela, I’m delighted you’ve enjoyed reading my blog. You will love Uganda!
      For daily updates and random photos, you might like my Diary of a Muzungu Facebook page. Have a fantastic trip!

13. Maël says:

Great blog and I am really looking forward coming to Uganda. However, I applied yesterday for a tourist visa for three months on the Uganda E-immigration system. I joined all the required documents, valid pasport (Belgium), Yellow fever certificate, ID photo’s and filled in all the questions correctly and honestly.

Now I checked the status of my application today and apparently my application has been deferred. I need to add an Invitation Letter and a ‘Host Immigration Status’.

I am wondering why I have to add those documents for a tourist visa? Also I have no idea what they mean with a Host Immigration Status?

• the muzungu says:

Good morning Mael. Thanks for the positive feedback. Sorry for slow reply, I had to check something for you.

My immigration advisor says. Uganda immigration want to know that the person you are visiting is legally staying in Uganda. If you are visiting a Ugandan, send the copy of their ID. If an expat, send a copy of their work permit. If visiting an institution, then just write the letter invitation letter.

The invitation letter can be from an individual or an institution. If you’re staying at a hotel, then send a copy of your booking. If a safari, send copy of your itinerary.

Hope this helps. Enjoy UGANDA!
      Charlotte

14. Aar says:

Thanks for your full information.

Let me ask you, i have applied Ugandan E-visa before one week and still my status says its in progress so, till when should i wait ?

• the muzungu says:

I suggest you contact them and ask for info. Have you sent in copy of your travel itinerary, flight tickets and letter of introduction? Proof of where you are staying e g hotel reservations will work.
      Immigration need this info but it is not made explicit. This is the feedback I have been getting.

15. Congratulations for East Africa Tourist Visa,
    for me it is a great deal for many million people in Africa.
    May The Lord bless East Africa