Come experience 'the Best of Africa.' Let the Muzungu share with you my love of all things Ugandan, weekly. Its simple to sign up and it's free.

I guarantee 100% privacy. Your information will not be shared.

How to date a Ugandan

Aug 6 • 19355 views • 34 Comments on How to date a Ugandan How to...? Uganda travel tips, Travel tips and advice, Uganda

A blog post about dating in Uganda will not suffice. This material fills at least one book!

Ugandan men can be handsome and very charming.

They know how to tell women what we want to hear. Delivery of promises is an altogether different issue!

I’ve had more marriage proposals in the last four years in Uganda than in the whole of my life.

I’ve been promised love, marriage, children (natural and adopted), meeting the family and even a house overlooking Lake Victoria!

And what have I got? My fingers burned – more than once …

I love the idea of having a relationship with a Ugandan man but the reality of mixed relationships is harder than I thought it would be, for many reasons.

Dating Uganda – the Muzungu’s blind date:

It’s quite usual for your male Ugandan suitor to be:

1. married
  2. living with someone
  3. a father of many children
  4. simultaneously with any number of girlfriends –

– or all four!

Bare-faced lies are very common.

Still, Muzungu ladies are very popular and we all like attention don’t we 😉

Dating Uganda. Mixed Muzungu Ugandan relationships can be challenging. How to date a Ugandan. Dating Uganda

Make your own mind up ladies but don’t believe everything you hear. Enjoy the moment, as that’s probably all it is, despite what they say. Just don’t take it too seriously. And insist on condoms every time! Yes I’m being explicit …

The Uganda dating issue is going to run and run!

What’s your experience of mixed race relationships?

Please leave a comment here or check out the Diary of a Muzungu Guest Post page for information on how to submit an article, I’d love to hear from you!

« »

Related posts

34 Responses to How to date a Ugandan

1. martin says:

According to me, the way you picking your partners matters and determines how the relationship would be in this country. Please agree with me that we are cultured differently. In most cases, Jjajja you apply your western to get a partner in Uganda which MAY not be wrong but …………… A case in point, have you thought about why you more marriage proposals here than in UK?

• the muzungu says:

Of course there are many cultural differences between Ugandans and Westerners. It’s one of the many things I enjoy about leaving in Uganda! That said, it is not always clear what our differences are, particularly in close relationships. We often make assumptions about each other’s expectations, without those expectations ever being put into words.
      For example, I wouldn’t expect a man to ask to marry me unless we had been together for months or years. Why has that experience been so different for me in Uganda? Obviously some guys see the Muzungu as the meal ticket / access to jobs / access to a different life etc, and I don’t entirely blame them; even so, which woman is going to take a man seriously if he asks her to marry him first or second time they meet? I’m sure a Ugandan lady would just laugh at such a guy; so why should I entertain his suggestion seriously either?
      Less people get married in the UK; and of those who do, more get divorced. That’s ironic really, sounds like Westerners take marriage even less seriously than Ugandans!
      I’m not sure I quite understand your question tho Martin: are you saying I apply my Western standards when I’m looking for a partner in Uganda? I’m a Westerner, so I probably do. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I am a product of where I grew up; I can never completely escape that, but your value systems do adapt according to where you live. That’s one of the reasons I wanted to live in Africa; I wanted to take on those personal challenges. I have failed more than once in my quest! But “whatever doesn’t break you, makes you stronger” that’s always been my philosophy. And I’ve made some great friends along the way.
      Your Jajja.

• Joe says:

Hi Everyone… Please allow me to comment on that topic. I think whether you are back home or in Uganda, you will always find that people date for different reasons… Some would date for the obvious reason of finding that missing puzzle in their lives… However others will date for different things such as: security, friendship, financial gains, jobs, and so many others… This is pretty much the same everywhere I have been… You just have to be clear and open to the other person about what your expectations right from the start…

• the muzungu says:

Hi Joe, Thanks for your comment. You are right, it’s always a good idea to understand what your expectations are from a date. I don’t expect to be asked to lend money on a first date though!
          As for the different things that people want from a date, yes we may look for love, friendship, security [you missed out sex!] But financial gain? Jobs? Only in Uganda … bambi

2. […] Aug 6 › How to date a Ugandan » […]

3. Tamara says:

I’ve been talking to a Ugandan guy for the last 3 months. I have some reservations about him. I meet him online. He actually found me in a post I commented on from someone we like in common.
    He plans to travel here this July and I there in November. I’m basically researching everything I can find on the web.
    Do you have any updates?

4. aida says:

hi, am in a relationship with Ugandan guy now and we’re 3 years, am so in love with him and his so nice and gentleman, the only problem I have is he never ask me for a marriage but am not hoping he will do, but even do he will not am still in love with him and I will wait for the time he will ask me, and I will keep everything in God hands.

5. […] “Teddy works in a salon,” she told me. “You can just drop by one day, and check him out first. He won’t know. He’s fed up going out with Ugandan girls who keep messing him around. He said he fancies going out with a Muzungu.” […]

6. Chloe says:

Hi, I’m dating a Ugandan man and he’s so gentle, loving and kind. I am so I love with him. He has a lying problem, he keeps lying to me about very small things and big things like where his from, who he dated before, why he doesn’t let me in. His very closed and admitted to having a very big problem. He makes me feel so safe! But I still feel like there a lot going on that I don’t know about. All his friends cannot believe I’m with him and always tells him ‘ such a pretty girl only wants you for money’ and it puts so much strain on our relationship. My biggest fear is that he has another girlfriend in his country or here. He wants to move in with me but I don’t want that. I just feel like he lies to me so much about all the little things how do I know his faithful. He seems faithful but I don’t know.

• the muzungu says:

Dear Chloe, thanks for your message. I’m traveling at the moment but will reply when back in Kampala. I think you are right to not want to live with this man just yet. Trust your instincts. Take care.

7. […] more dating stories, read How to date a Ugandan and Downtown dreadlocks, the muzungu’s blind […]

8. Idriss says:

Iam Ugandan ready for u

9. angela says:

I’m a south African dating a ugandan man I love this guy so much but we haven’t met. We’ve known each other for 5 years but have never met personally due to distance south Africa & uganda he keeps making empty promises about coming to south africa. I’m starting to have my doubts about him. I’m a born again Christian & so is he. I wonder if we ever will meet please help should I just end this with him or hang in there I love him very much. He seems to be everything I want or need in a man

• the muzungu says:

Hello Angela, five years does seem like a very long time. I don’t think I would wait that long.
      You say you love him but you don’t really know a person until you live with them. An older friend told me that once. My dating experiences have taught me she is right. I think you need to spend time together before you decide whether he is the one for you.

• angela says:

Ugandan men are unique & very different. I’m dating a Ugandan man 5 years now I’ve never met him but he shows me so much love respect. His sense of humour & has a deep love for God as I do we have so much in common. His values warm kind hearted, humble. He has actually made me love the country of Uganda. I plan to visit Uganda soon. I can’t see myself with any man but a Ugandan man

10. Namulondo Hajjira says:

I have not experienced the feeling though i would like to,i am a ugandan, but i have seen and had loving storries from my friends have fun and feeling loved and handled gently by their white boyfriends, and i thing rhe feeling it self is such a magiacal experience that every man kind would wish for to happen to them. I wish luck to every one.

• the muzungu says:

Well, not all white boyfriends are gentle, let me tell you! Every man is different from every other, and mixed race relationships have their own challenges. Few relationships are ‘magical.’ They may have magical moments but relationships require a lot of work, compromise and learning…

11. Joshua says:

I want a white lady for serious relationship please?

12. Julie says:

Hey, great comments and responses.
    Recently met a slightly younger Ugandan guy on a work permit in my country. He’s pursuing, talking kids and wants to get there, but Im trying to keep it fairly light as we get to know each other. I was an expat in South Sudan for 2 yrs, so not ignorant of the potential differences/motives/complexities. Scary reading a bit on horror stories of marrying with hidden intentions/secretiveness/more than one girl on the go, but I guess we always take chances! So far, he’s seems open, willing to help with dishes when I cook (hinting at gender role beliefs), and thoughtful of others. I kind of came cruising looking for advice (and welcome any), but I think each relationship/person is quite individual and searching for hints could just lead to over-analyzing/over-generalizing(?). As you said: “Every man is different from every other”. Trust the gut, take some time. No matter who or from where, a relationship is a risk and adventure!
    Thanks for the blog!

• the muzungu says:

Thanks for sharing your story Julie. All sounds wonderful and I hope your relationship blossoms. I like what you say about time and not rushing things. I look at my closest relationships, and love realising how I am still getting to know those people, many years on.
      I agree that we can fall into the trap of overanalysing and/or generalising but there are certain themes that crop up again and again.
      Since first writing this page, I’ve had more than one marriage / family planning proposal. Most were obviously “unserious” but here there is a lot of social pressure to marry and have kids and I feel some African men go through the motions of having those conversations because 1) they feel obliged to and 2) they think it’s what you want to hear. As a British woman, when I hear ‘marriage / babies’ I hear ‘serious commitment,’ which leads to certain expectations. In East Africa, in my experience, those are frequently just phrases guy use.
      I’d love to have a serious relationship with an African man but my first Ugandan marriage proposal was just so the guy could get a mixed race baby “because they look nice.”
      Next one was from a Kenyan who was approaching his 40th birthday and feeling pressure from his family to settle down. Guy #1 had two children, but only chose to tell me about one of them. I think he also had a wife.
      Guy #2 got back together with his ex-girlfriend and ‘kind of forgot to tell me’ (while still talking about how many kids he wanted us to have). In his case, he told me that he wanted children “that looked like him.” If he loved me, wouldn’t he have wanted our kids to look like me, or look like both of us?

13. Another mzungu says:

When first I signed up to spend three weeks in Uganda, it never crossed my mind that I’d get laid haha

14. Anonymous says:

To quote you:”In my dating experience, the African male ego doesn’t leave much room for a woman in the relationship!” What is the African male ego really? Too judgemental.

15. Alexinah Malinga says:

Hi I am a South African Lady 25 yrs old,I must say Ugandan man knows how to treat woman.I’m so in love with this Ugandan man of God,he is humbled,loving,carying,God fearing man w just meet 3 months back.Yoh i never thought I could b able to love.This man God indeed blessed me with him.He is a good listiner,loves people,enjoys serving the Lord we have so much in common worse he is charming,down to earth.I nkwagala him so much